Healing with Reiki
The Origin & Principles of Reiki
In its simplest form, Reiki is defined as an ancient Japanese hands-on energy healing technique for stress reduction and relaxation that also promotes healing. Reiki is the age-old art of “palm healing” through which the energy of our body, mind and spirit is brought back into balance. It is believed to have begun in Tibet several thousand years ago, but the technique was only re-discovered and developed to its modern form and application in the late 19th century by Japanese Buddhist, Dr. Mikao Usui.
It was only years later, pre-World War II initially and then again more prominently in the 1970s, that Reiki was introduced in the Western World by Hawayo Takata, born of Japanese parents in Hawaii.
Today, Reiki is one of the more widely known and practiced forms of energy healing and involves the direct application of Chi for the purpose of strengthening the body’s energy system, i.e. the Aura.
The word Reiki is made of two Japanese words – “Rei” which means “Universal/God’s Wisdom/the Higher Power” and “Ki” which is “Life-force Energy”. Reiki is therefore “Spiritually guided Life-force Energy.”
According to Dr. Usui, the body is more than just a collection of functioning parts. Everything, including the body and its organs, generates an energy frequency, our life-force energy. If our life-force energy is low or blocked, we are more likely to get sick, bringing on symptoms of injury, illness and disease. When our life-force energy is high and balanced, we can maintain our health and well-being. Reiki helps restore energy balance – being balanced helps maintain the normal and healthy functioning of the body, mind and spirit. It provides deep relaxation and offers the body the life-force energy where it is needed. It assists the body in breaking up energy blockages, promoting healing and eliminating symptoms of dis-ease.
Reiki is a way of natural healing that uses variable frequency energy to heal. The energy is electromagnetic in nature and can work on any level – physical, mental, emotional and spiritual. In its simplest explanation Reiki incorporates elements of other complementary and alternative healing practices such as spiritual healing, aromatherapy, auras, crystals, chakra balancing, homeopathy, meditation and naturopathy. It involves the transfer of energy from Practitioner to client to improve the body’s natural ability to heal itself through the balancing of energy.
The principle teachings of Reiki embrace a life of balance and promote spiritual growth. However, Reiki is not a religion, nor is it based in any particular religious doctrine. Reiki does not infringe on anyone’s beliefs or personal values. People of many different faiths have discovered the life-energies Reiki offers.
The Benefits of Reiki
- A complementary and holistic therapy that promotes healing
- Promotes natural self-healing
- Balances the energies in the body
- Balances the functioning of the organs and glands
- Strengthens the immune system
- Treats symptoms and causes of illness
- Relieves pain
- Clears toxins
- Adapts to the natural needs of the receiver
- Enhances personal awareness
- Relaxes and reduces stress
- Promotes creativity
- Releases blocked and suppressed feelings
- Aids meditation and positive thinking
- Induces positive approach to life
- Functions at all levels – physical, mental, emotional and spiritual
- Works equally well on plants and animals
The Reiki Treatment
Your Reiki treatment at ViTerra Healing will start off with a short introductory interview with the Reiki Practitioner. This informal chat is aimed at getting to know each other and for the Practitioner to understand your specific needs for the day’s Reiki treatment. The treatment will then commence. You relax, fully clothed, on a treatment bed or seated while the Practitioner holds her hands on or above you. A treatment can last an hour or longer depending on the treatment required. Our Practitioner may use standard Reiki treatment or combine Reiki with elements of other energy therapies, e.g. Crystal Healing, Colour Therapy or Reflexology, depending on the your individual requirements. Commonly a full treatment is given covering all the important organs of the body.
During the treatment, no pressure is applied on the body. This makes it ideal for treating all ages and conditions. In some instances or if the client prefers, the Practitioner’s hands are held away from the body in the energy body (Aura) of the client. The energy flows wherever it is required and can usually be felt as a warm or cool sensation or a tingling in the body. Some clients do not feel anything. That is fine too. Whatever the experience, it is the correct and appropriate experience for the individual client. The most important thing is that you, the client, relax, be open-minded and embrace the energy that you receive during the treatment.
Because Reiki promotes self-healing, your body will in all likelihood detox after your Reiki treatment. Your energy will reshuffle in the process of getting back to balance and your body will get rid of toxins. To aid these processes, you will be encouraged to drink plenty of water. The Reiki Practitioner is also available at all time to discuss your experience and response to the Reiki treatment.
Receiving Reiki is a very relaxing and soothing experience!
Reiki Treatment Bookings
Treatments are ± 1.5hrs @ R450
Terms & Conditions (unless otherwise pre-arranged):
- Payment for treatments on weekdays is required at least 3 days prior to the treatment date
- Payment for treatments on Saturdays is required at least the Monday prior to the treatment date
- Payment for courses is required at least 14 days prior to the course commencement date
- Bookings of treatments and/or courses are only confirmed once payment has been received
- No cancellation fee applies if booking is cancelled/rescheduled prior to 7 days from course date, or 48 hours prior to treatment appointment date
- 10% cancellation fee applies if booking is cancelled/rescheduled within 7 days of course commencement date
- 25% cancellation fee applies if booking is cancelled/rescheduled within 48 hours of treatment appointment or course commencement date
- 100% cancellation fee applies if booking is cancelled/rescheduled within 24 hours of treatment appointment or course commencement date